Group Leader: Chapel Hill UMC
At Chapel Hill we have a special connection to Cabell Elementary School (just across Myra from the church) because that is were it all began. We started meeting in the Gym at Cabell in 1959 and stayed there for two years.
We work closely with the staff to help meet the needs of the special students there. We also support the teachers through several Teacher Appreciation activities. Our outreach and support includes the following:
- We start the school year by donating backpacks and school supplies that are collected on our Backpack Sunday.
- We volunteer in the classrooms and Library throughout the year.
- We help with the Vision and Dental Clinics and the two Book Fairs held during the school year.
- We prepare a special snack for the teachers during their in-service day before the start of the second semester.
- During Teacher Appreciation Week in the Spring we always do the (much-anticipated) Salad Luncheon for the teachers.
- All Spring we collect and sort storybooks by reading level for the children. The books are distributed during the last week of school so that every child has their own book for summertime reading.